Coursework Descriptions (View All)
- Attendance (30%)
- Blogging (37%)
- Blog setup (2%)
- Smallish Posts (16%)
- Current Events (6%)
- Book-Inspired Posts (8%)
- Blog Comments (3%)
- Personal Writing Workshop (2%)
- Readings (13%)
- Daily Readings (6%)
- Elements of Style (2%)
- The Cuckoo's Egg (2%)
- Here Comes Everybody (3%)
- Social Networking (8%)
- LinkedIn (2%)
- Internet Safety Wiki (6%)
- Position Vlog (6%)
- Literary Extravaganza (2%)
- Articles of Personal Ethics (4%)
We are reading three books this semester:
- "The Elements of Style" by William Strunk, Jr. and E.B. White
- "The Cuckoo's Egg" by Cliff Stoll (or another book on hacking, approved by the instructor)
- A book on technology and society, chosen at your discretion but with instructor approval
The books must be read by the class period on the day in which the Book-Inspired Post is due.
"The Elements of Style" should be digested slowly (not more than ten pages in a day) and completed by the date indicated on the schedule.
The schedule identifies readings for a number of class periods. These readings need to be read before class on those days.
- Students will be asked on the class roll to report the percent of readings completed for that day.
- The non-book daily readings for the class constitute a chunk of the course grade. Each day in which non-book readings are assigned has a potential 100% readings score for that day. Your report of the percent of readings completed constitutes your score for that day.